Starting our year with a light yet ambitious mood, it cannot be denied that we are starting strong by bringing you our January woman crush, Nia Atasha for a feature with us. The 21 year old lady who is a visual artist and also a hardworking model, attracted our attention in getting some scoops about her life. We are thrilled to have the chance to get up close and personal with Nia as this lovely lady has that adorable yet positive energy around her. Let’s take a look down below.
1. Give us a little insight of what you do.
Well aside from modelling, I am also a visual artist- I work with all kinds of mixed media! From paints to embroidery/ fibre, ceramics and also digital media. I take up commission work for art pieces or graphic designing jobs.
2. Everyone has their own background story. How did you start your career in modelling?
As a kid I have thought of how cool it would be if I modelled for a magazine, but it was never really something I wanted to actually pursue because I was a tomboy throughout my high school years. During those times I had to deal with friends-turned-enemies & these were a group of loud girlie girls. I remember one of them wanted to be a model or at least model for a magazine and out of spite, I made it my life mission to model for at least something to prove a point and when I was 17, right after SPM, I got scouted by a Fashion Writer from Seventeen Magazine and she asked if I would do a beauty spread and I agreed! (And we know why of course) So when the shoot happened and the magazine released, modelling jobs just kept coming in after that shoot! And here I am today haha. So it really did start out as trying to prove a point to the mean girls in school.
3. How do you describe your sense of style?
My style is very much all about comfort with a little bit of edge.
4. Share with us your personal model off-duty style.
Very minimal makeup & basic tees & jeans!
5. What is the item in the closet you wear the most?
6. Which do you prefer? Sneakers? Flats? High heels?
Sneakers! They’re stylish & comfortable!
7. You have flawless natural skin. Share with us your skin care regime.
I always moisturise after cleansing before sleeping at night and honestly I think that’s my skin-saving routine haha
8. What color of lipstick do you love pulling off on a day out?
Definitely Kinda Sexy from MAC cosmetics
9. If you could only bring three beauty products for a travel trip, what would be your beauty must-haves?
Facial cleanser, Eyebrow pencil & Lip tint!
10. You have a great figure that most women will be jealous of. We wonder, how do you stay fit and healthy?
I guess it comes down to my daily activities. I move around a lot throughout the day. So any chance I get, I’d make it a point to walk a lot since I haven’t been religiously or properly working out for over a year now.
11. What is one thing that people would be surprised to know about you?
Every time I tell people I grew up with and love anime and manga, they always seemed so surprised by that! Haha
12. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
Wow, imagine having the super power of Invulnerability! Being immune to spiritual, physical & mental damage is so cool. Never worry about getting your heart broken or getting beaten up. Sis, yes please!
13. It cannot be denied that every girl grew up with Disney princess stories. Which Disney princess do you identify with the most?
Mulan! I’d like to believe we’re both bada*s!
14. Growing with all the lovely Disney fairy tales and although in reality it is more complicated, do you believe in the existence of that one true love?
Growing up, the idea of the One True Love has always been something i never truly believe in. But I like the idea of having a One True Love. Maybe I’ll be lucky enough to understand what that really means someday :)
15. What is your idea of a romantic evening?
A romantic evening to me would definitely be being all snuggled & cuddled up together with blankets & pillows and pigging out to all my favourite food & snacks while binging on a Series or a Movie Marathon!
16. If you are stranded on an island, name three things you want to have with you.
My cat...A lifetime supply of food & drinks.. and a comfy bed.
17. What is your favourite song on repeat right now?
Bipolar Sunshine - Tears
18. What is your weirdest pet peeve?
Jerks who takes up 2 parking spaces. Ugh
19. What should every woman try at least once in her life?
Fall devastatingly, helplessly, head-over-heels in love with someone. It will change you.
20. What advice would you give girls who are not so confident about the way they look?
Define yourself in ways other than how you look. Focus on what you like about your abilities, personality, relationships & perspective on the world. I believe self-love and confidence comes from how you feel about the person you are so I always tell girls around me to find their feel-good passion! Write! Read! Paint! When you find that passion, self-love really comes naturally. Good luck.
Are you becoming a fan of this young spirited lady and her wisdom? If you are, do follow her on Instagram @sleepylllma. Who do you want to read about next for our next month’s issue? Please leave your suggestions down in the comment box below.