We’ve seen models, we’ve seen fitness trainers, we’ve seen musicians. Now, we bring you a cyclist who travels around the continent to brave the wilderness and champion mountains, all in the name of passion. Introducing November’s edition of our monthly Men Crush Issue, Aaron Chan, who surrounds himself with bikes daily. Be it his full-time job or for leisure, his love for cycling is definitely obvious. Get to know this hunk of a man in our exclusive interview below!
1. Give us a little insight on what you do for a living.
Ideally, it would be to make a living riding my bikes, but I have the closest situation at the moment. I’m a Marketing Manager of a multi label bicycle store called 2Escape which means I still get to be around bikes.
2. We see that you are into cycling. Tell us more about it.
I race mountain bikes semi-professionally in and around Southeast Asia for Specialized Bicycles, but I also do other disciplines of cycling, from road to fixed gear cycling, leisurely. Basically, I’m that little boy who loves his bike and never grew up.
3. How did your love for cycling came about?
I was introduced to cycling by my godfather who was an avid cross-country cyclist. I used to be amazed at his bikes and all the fancy tech on it at a young age.
4. Any crazy experiences you’ve encountered when cycling?
There have been many crazy experiences throughout my cycling career. Every trip has had its special highlights and moments that are special to me. But the most recent has to be mountain biking in the Philippines. I got to see the most remote places and experience the hospitality of the local provinces there who treated us like celebrities.
5. Where was the best place you’ve ever ridden?
I would have to say New Zealand. I spent a month travelling New Zealand, racing the national series over there and it was a life changing trip. Definitely on my bucket list to go back and cover more ground on bikes because one month wasn’t enough!
6. Besides cycling, what other things do you do on your free time?
I picked up CrossFit 3 years ago with Fuel Athletics to help me train when I’m off the bike. I ended up getting hooked with the training regime and programming of CrossFit. I currently coach and train there as well.
7. What is one thing that people will be surprised to know about you?
I have more than 30 stitches, 8 stables, 9 titanium screws and a metal plate on my body, and countless of bruises and scratches, all from the crashing and falling on the mountain bikes.
8. Describe your style in three words.
Functional, minimal, and sweat-able.
9. What motivates you to get out of bed every day?
Progression. The feeling when you look back and reflect and realise how far you’ve gotten and appreciate the hustle and hardship that got you there.
10. If you could go back in time, what would you advice your younger self?
I wished I took my training more seriously at a younger age and improved my fitness earlier to help me with my racing career.
11. If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be?
The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but this was a very tough one.
12. What is your favourite one-hit wonder song?
Definitely something from Michael Jackson. Maybe Smooth Criminal?
13. If you are stranded on an island and you could have one thing with you, what or who will it be?
It’ll probably have to be my bike, obviously; to explore and make some trails to occupy myself.
14. In your opinion, what is one thing people should pay more attention to?
People should pay attention to the things that make them feel more like themselves. I’m lucky to have found my passion early on and it has defined me as a person.
15. Who’s your celebrity crush?
Male – Jason Momoa / Female – Anne Hathaway.
16. If you could have a casual chat with one celebrity from Hollywood, dead or alive, who would it be?
Probably directors as I studied videography and have a big interest in directing. Stanley Kubrick or Martin Scorsese.
17. If your life were to be a movie, what would the title be, and which actor do you want to see play you?
Won’t Die One, Shia LaBeouf.
18. What song instantly puts you in a good mood?
Lovely Day – Bill Withers.
19. Every man should know how to….
Change a damn car tyre. I’ve actually met guys who don’t and I think it’s embarrassing.
20. What the best piece of advice anyone has given you?
“If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say it” and “harden up!”.
To get the latest updates on our November men crush, you can follow this handsome cyclist @atchanchowhee on Instagram and check out his pictures with his favourite bikes.
So, who do you think will be our next man crush? Anybody in mind who fits into our monthly list? Share your thoughts on the comment section below!