We’re back at it again with our monthly Men Crush Issue where we showcase our choice of desirable man whom we discovered through the powers of social media. For this month, say hello to Jee, a full-time musician who freelances as an actor, emcee, and heavyweight competitor. If his face seems a little familiar to you, that’s because he has appeared in several local commercials online, his latest being an advertisement done with Digi. This multi-talented man puts his music first before anything else as he is frequently seen gigging with his indie pop band, Son Of A Policeman. Want to know more about Jee? Read our exclusive interview below!
1. Give us a little insight on what you do.
I play and write and sing music, and I also talk a lot for a living (as an emcee). I also lift heavy weights competitively. And I also act. Wait there’s a word for this…oh, yes - freelancer.
2. We discovered that you are into music. Tell us more about it.
I am a full-time musician and I spend my days singing, playing the keys/guitar, recording, and composing for a living. My work has been featured in some of Malaysia’s favourite commercials, and more recently I’ve started appearing in these commercials as well.
3. With all of that going on, how do you balance your schedule?
Discipline is key. You’ll be amazed to know just how much time could potentially be wasted in a day.
4. How would you describe your style?
5. Do you incorporate fashion into your music?
I do! The piano has black and white keys and I have made those very colours my inspiration when it comes to fashion.
6. What is the one item in your closet that you wear the most?
Boxers. Never leave home without it.
7. Describe yourself in three simple words.
Young, fun, creative.
8. What is one thing that people will be surprised to know about you?
I am actually straight.
9. Who do you look up to in the music industry?
Most other people would name a successful artist. Yes, there have been many people I have and will continue to look up to in the industry, and these are teachers and friends who have taken the time and effort to guide and impart to me the know-how and first-hand experience that they have accumulated. While many of them are not celebrity-famous and not necessarily the very best in their field, they are the ones I salute for having brought me this far.
10. What do you wish you knew when you were younger?
That it really isn’t necessary to settle down before any age. The most important thing in life is to be happy.
11. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
12. What is one embarrassing moment that happened to you in your life?
When the judges were announcing the winners for a song competition I was in, I jumped up and celebrated too quickly - turns out there was another group with almost the same name who were the actual winners. But…five stars for self-confidence.
13. If you are stranded on an island and you could have one thing with you, what or who will it be?
If it’s an object, then it will be a blowtorch. Because have you seen how difficult it is to make fire on a deserted island? If it’s a person, it will be Wilson.
14. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Iceland. The big green land of giant strongmen.
15. Who’s your celebrity crush?
Daiyan Trisha. Her cheeks are impossibly cute.
16. If you could be best friends with one celebrity from Hollywood, dead or alive, who would it be?
Jesus. I mean, wait, no that’s not my answer - what I meant was that it’s a hard question. Okay…Leonardo DiCaprio.
17. What song instantly puts you in a mood?
Claustrophobic by PJ Morton.
18. If you can have one superpower, what would it be?
To be able to fly. #wanderlustgoals
19. Every man should know how to….
20. What is the best piece of advice anyone has given you?
“The body achieves what the mind believes.” - I forgot
To get the latest updates on our August man crush, you can follow Jee on Instagram, @jeespot, and check out his music. Who do you think will be our man crush next month? Leave a comment below.