We sure you all have heard that we have just crowned our new Miss Universe Malaysia a few weeks ago and ZALORA had the amazing chance to get an exclusive interview with the winner, Shweta Sekhon as our women crush this month. The 22-year-old Shweta who was born and raised in Kuala Lumpur came from a close-knit Punjabi family and wants to use the platform she is grateful to have to help young women out there to build their self confidence and chase their dreams. We bet you are intrigued to know about her Miss Universe Malaysia journey and some personal interesting facts so read on down below on our interview.
1. Everyone has their own story of life. Please tell us a little bit about yourself. We would love to know!
The story of my life is just like the ordinary girl next door. Grew up alongside my Mum, my elder sister whose name is Sabrina and my Grandmother who recently passed away. Life was all about academics and sports back in school but there was a slight twist when I turned 17. Many saw the potential in me being a model thus I pursued in freelancing. As time passed by, I then knew Miss Universe Malaysia is my calling and now here I am standing as the Miss Universe Malaysia 2019
2. Being in any contest isn’t easy. So please share with us what you have learnt and experienced throughout the journey of being involved in Miss Universe Malaysia.
My experience throughout my journey in becoming the Miss Universe Malaysia 2019 has simply been one very exciting one. Likewise, life, it was a roller coaster ride indeed. I walked in on Day 1 with a blank canvas but came out with a picture on Gala night! Made many friends and best friends too! I could literally write a book I guess. One thing I learned is to never give up especially when challenges counter strikes you! Remember they are there to elevate you in life.
3. What was your feeling when you were being crowned as our latest Miss Universe Malaysia?
I felt so proud and literally was missing my Grandmother as I held the crown! I wish she was still here with us to witness that moment! I was AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD INDEED!
4. In three words, describe to us your personality.
Outgoing, bubbly and humble.
5. How would you describe your sense of style?
Simplicity is the best way! But it’s never too wrong to go all out of the box at times isn’t it?
6. Sneakers? Flats? High heels?
7. What is one item in your closet do you wear the most?
My black skinny jeans.
8. You have flawless natural skin! We are curious about your skin care regime. Please let us in on the secret!
It’s very important to make sure your make up is WELL REMOVED. I make sure my makeup is completely off my face and I then wash it off well. After that it’s either I put on a face mask or get on with my skin care product which is MUCA. One of the best products I have ever came across with. And yes, drink lots of water too. It really helps.
9. You are always on point with your makeup, what are your beauty must-haves that you carry in your bag every day?
Lip balm, eyeliner and mascara.
10. In your opinion, what is one beauty tip that everyone should never ignore?
11. Name one thing that every woman should do at least once in their life.
Travel to your personal favourite destination all by yourself.
12. What is one thing that people would be surprised to know about you?
Being an Indian I can’t eat spicy and I hate yogurt.
13. Growing up, we listen to Disney princess stories. We would love to know which Disney princess do you identify the most?
14. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
To read minds.
15. What is one thing you wish you knew when you were younger?
Nothing is impossible in life because the word impossible itself says, I Am Possible.
16. If you are stranded on an island, name three things you would want to have with you?
Water, My Bible and a Tent.
17. Name us one place in the world that you would love to travel to.
18. If you had the chance to experience someone’s career for one day, whose would it be? And why?
Priyanka Chopra Jonas! I so wanna know how does she do what she do ? Like how can someone just be so consistent in living their career life to the fullest without even showing any sign of exhaustion AT ALL? I SO WANNA DO IT TOO and I do wanna be an actress if I can someday.
19. Every woman should know how to…..
Every woman should know how to CARRY THEMSELVES IN THE BEST WAY THEY COULD EVER POSSIBLY THINK OF because we are the greatest masterpiece of the Lord.
20. What is your advice to girls who want to follow their dreams?
3 simple words: GO FOR IT! Don’t wait for the moment where you go on saying, I wish I would have but instead wait for the moment where you go on saying, I am so happy I did that.
Feel inspired to follow more on her amazing journey as Miss Universe Malaysia 2019? Follow her on her Instagram @shweta_sekhon .