Wondering who our July man crush is? Well, wait no more as we bring you another hottie for your visual pleasure. Say hello to Meharaj Paramasiwam, or you can call him Raj for short if you ever think of sliding to his DMs. Raj is a newly established model who is making waves in the fashion industry by walking prestigious runways such as the Ipoh Fashion Week and Penang Fashion Week at a very short period of his career. If he is already walking big stages like those, you know something bigger is coming his way in the near future. So, get to know him better before he blows up in our exclusive interview for our monthly Men Crush Issue.
1. Give us a little insight on what you do for a living.
I’m a full-time student and a freelance model. So far, I’m working towards my life goals. Also enjoying my life to the fullest with my family and friends.
2. Tell us more about your life as a model. How did you get involved with it in the first place?
It was not in my plan to be a model because of my low self-confidence, but I love to try new things. So, I went for the Vogue for Virtue model search audition last year. Surprisingly, I was selected as one of the Top 10 male contestants. See, if you never try, you’ll never know what you are capable of.
3. We noticed that you do a little bit of acting while maintaining your studies too. How do you balance all of those in your life?
Time management is not my type of thing. It is very difficult for me to schedule my work. All I do is I never delay them. I try to settle it as soon as possible.
4. What other things do you do when you have some time off?
Let me be frank, sleeping will be the first thing to do on my list. Eating is the second. That is all I do when I have time for myself.
5. What was your best experience in your modelling career so far?
Walking the Penang Fashion Week runway last year and also this year. All this while I used to be an audience who watched the show. Now, I’m walking for brands!
6. What is one thing that people would be surprised to know about you?
I love to cook! Yes, I cook on a daily basis. I’m not talking about my healthy meal prep. This is beyond that. It is all about my spicy Indian yummy-licious food. Good food, happy life.
7. Modelling requires you to always keep fit. What do you do to maintain a toned body such as yours?
I have no vigorous workout or eat super healthy meals. I workout 3-4 days per week. Yet, anyone can maintain a good physique if consume less sugar and fats.
8. How would you describe your style?
I style according to the theme and event but I do admire formal Italian outfits. For me, those are incredibly fashionable. Yet, my all-time easy-to-wear outfit would be a plain t-shirt and a black jeans or jogger pants.
9. Which brand do you wish you could model for?
To be honest, I’m not a big fan of any particular brand.
10. We saw an Instagram post of you losing tons of weight and thus transforming your body to become leaner. What was your secret on doing so?
Set short term goals and work my ass off. Yeah, I used to have super tiring days back then and I craved for curry a lot.
11. Who is your celebrity crush?
Zul Ariffin; big fan of his physique.
12. In your opinion, what is the one thing people should pay more attention to?
13. What is your go-to workout song?
“Hall of Fame” by The Script.
14. Do you only limit yourself to modelling, or would you like to try something more out of the box?
I used to be an ordinary guy with no motive in my life. I decided to change that by getting into modelling. I’d say by now, I’m already outside of my box. As I mentioned before, I love to try new things. So, if there is any form of opportunity for me out there, I will give it a try, nevertheless.
15. What was the biggest challenge you have faced in your years of modelling?
Walking in high heels for the S.M.L fashion show this year.
16. What is a fashion must-have that you always bring wherever you go?
Every man needs to wear a wristwatch and beaded bracelets.
17. Who is your fashion inspiration?
18. Which local food would you recommend to foreigners to try first when visiting Malaysia?
Cendol and ice kacang. These are the best desserts for me on days with sweltering heat. I highly recommend this to visitors who travel here under the scorching Sun.
19. What advice would you give to men who are just starting out in the modelling world?
Just be yourself and utilise all the opportunities. If possible, stop complaining and start working!
20. Every man in Malaysia should know how to….
Keep calm and carry on.
Want to know more about Raj? Head to his Instagram account at @raj.siwam to check out his modelling work.
We got our August men crush ready for you. Can you guess who he is? Find out soon next month on THREAD ZALORA.