Don’t you just love guys who can cook? Well, we found a new man crush this month that can fix up your appetite. Introducing Dzikri, a Culinary Arts major who has a talent in both the food and fashion world. This chef-to-be is also a freelance model who has worked with many local streetwear brands appearing on various editorials most notably, the Italian edition of Vogue. That’s right, THE Vogue! So, read our exclusive Men Crush interview below to find out what this young and stylish gentleman is up to these days.
1. Give us a little insight on what you do for a living.
I’m currently finishing up my diploma in Culinary Arts; two more semesters then I’m good to go. Besides studying, I also do freelancing as a model for editorial shoots, school projects, and mostly streetwear brands.
2. We noticed that you model for certain local brands especially ones that are considered streetstyle. What is it like being a model here in Malaysia?
It’s fun! In my opinion I feel like it’s similar to acting in a way. Every movement and pose plays a different role and it’s amazing how some photographers capture shots with the perfect angle and the final outcome is just phenomenal.
3. We also found out that you are all about arts in terms of your fashion sense, paintings, even in your food presentation. What is it about arts that have drawn you into that world?
It’s like Wonderland. One side is about people painting, creating designs, bringing back vintage styles. Another side’s all about music, sounds, and effects for your soul to consume.
4. What other things do you do when you have some time off?
I’ll walk around my neighbourhood, look at trees and admire them. It sounds pretty lame, but I like it.
5. How do you balance all of that with your studies?
As for fashion, I don’t actually spend a lot of time for it. I’ll just wear something that I’m comfortable in and I’m all set. Yes, mixing and matching clothes are sometimes tricky. Painting is what I do as a hobby. I’m trying to be more consistent in it, so lately I’ve been spending my money on canvases and focusing on it.
6. What is one thing that people would be surprised to know about you?
I look very serious in pictures but I’m actually a sweetheart in real life.
7. You are quite the chef. What is your best dish that you have ever cooked up for someone?
The best dish I cooked so far was the Spinach Cannelloni with beef ragout. No cap.
8. How would you describe your style?
A mixture of everything.
9. To whom do you refer to for style inspiration?
Sean Pablo, Ben Kadow, and Kevin Rodrigues from FA WORLDWIDE.
10. We saw that your face is featured on Vogue Italia this year. Tell us more about that.
Surprising. One fine day I was just hanging out and then I got a call from a good friend of mine, Hydar, saying that the picture he sent to Vogue got published and we were both excited. I was jumping around like a kid and was really grateful about it.
11. Now that the whole world has probably seen you in a platform as big as Vogue, does this drive you to get into modelling more seriously?
Of course! Recently I went casting for a modelling agency and really hope I’ll get it, Inshallah.
12. In your opinion, what is the one thing people should pay more attention to?
13. If you could hang out with any celebrity, dead or alive, who would it be?
That would be Joey Bada$$ or Diana Korkunova.
14. What is the most valuable fashion item that you currently have in your wardrobe?
A vintage TAG Heuer.
15. What was the biggest challenge you have faced in your years of modelling?
Wearing layered outfits on a hot sunny day, that was tough. Nothing else.
16. What is a fashion must-have that you always bring wherever you go?
My collection of rings. Most of the time I’ll keep it in a tote bag that I carry around every single day.
17. If you could travel anywhere I the world, where would it be?
Italy. Rustic Italian food is what I’m looking for.
18. If you had to eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Daging salai masak lemak cili api! With steamed rice on the side.
19. Which brand do you wish you could model for?
Alyx Studio all day every day.
20. Every man in Malaysia should know how to….
Focus on what they want to pursue.
Interested to know more about Dzikri? Head over to his Instagram @skeletonkiii and get up to date on whatever he is cooking up now whether it be his modelling job or him literally cooking up a fancy dish.
Who do you want to see in the next issue of Men Crush? Comment your suggestions at the box below!