It is September and guess what is back? Well, the inevitable haze that always comes back during this time of year but despite that, we are back with our monthly Men Crush Issue! This month, we have Afeq Saad, a part-time model who is slowly but surely making a name for himself in the fashion industry. You probably seen him around as he has walked the Kuala Lumpur Fashion Week (KLFW) runway every year since 2016 and there are no signs of stopping him anytime soon. So, let this young man shine a light for you from this haze with our exclusive interview with him down below.
1. Give us a little insight on what you do for a living.
I’m a tailor. I do all type of alterations for menswear and womenswear, also leather goods. Sometimes, I also do experimental designs such as wallets, wallet chains, pants, and jackets.
2. Tell us more about your life as a model. How did you get involved with it in the first place?
Being a model is exciting and fun. You get to meet new people, experience and explore other views in terms of fashion and interests. But on the other hand, there’s an inconsistency in getting jobs. So, it’s hard to totally rely on modelling as my main source of income. Ridduan “TTFGA” Ismail and Jiman Casablancas scouted me through Instagram, that is how my journey began.
3. What is the biggest challenge you’ve ever faced as a local model?
Competitions and trying to be exactly what the designers are looking for.
4. What other things do you do when you have some time off?
I recently bought a bike and I enjoy doing videos. By just cruising on my bike calms me down or looking for new content to do videos keeps me going, physically and mentally.
5. What was your best experience in your modelling career so far?
I got to be on the cover page of Glam Lelaki September issue. Nothing beats the joy out of me for that opportunity.
6. What is one thing that people would be surprised to know about you?
I can sew and I’m into vintage because my dad was the one who taught me into sewing and collecting vintage stuffs.
7. Modelling requires you to always keep fit. What do you do to maintain a toned body such as yours?
I play futsal and football to keep myself in shape.
8. How would you describe your style?
Streetwear and universal.
9. Which brand do you wish you could model for?
Dior and Yves Saint Laurent.
10. Any embarrassing stories when on a job be it on the runway or during photoshoots?
It was my first time walking for KLFW in 2016 for Tarik Jeans. I was too nervous, I kept on looking down instead of looking straight while walking! Man, I was too nervous!
11. Who is your celebrity crush?
12. In your opinion, what is the one thing people should pay more attention to?
Stop racism! Everyone is equal and should get along with each other, period.
13. What is your go-to workout song?
Any songs by Zhu.
14. Do you only limit yourself to modelling, or would you like to try something more out of the box?
I don’t mind trying TV commercials or acting.
15. What was it like walking the runway of KLFW?
I enjoyed every part of the journey. On the plus side, I got to spend a week with my friends and wear all the talented designers’ clothes! What an honour.
16. What is a fashion must-have that you always bring wherever you go?
My wallet chains and accessories are the most important to me.
17. Who is your fashion inspiration?
18. You’ve been walking KLFW every year since 2016. Has KLFW changed since you started back then as compared to this year?
Nothing major I would say. Only the lineup of models.
19. What advice would you give to men who are just starting out in the modelling world?
Believe in yourself, no one is going to believe you like you do. Confidence is the most important thing but don’t try so hard. If you have tried more than three times and it’s not getting where you are, then try to explore other things. Because in this world, you can try other different things than just modelling.
20. Every man in Malaysia should know how to…
Looking to know more about Afeq? Head over to his Instagram @afeqveins where you can see him walk various fashion runways and pose for countless photoshoots.
Who do you want to see featured on our Men Crush Issue next? Recommend us some good-looking men at our comments section below.