Yasmin Yusuf joined Miss Selfridge as the Creative Director in September 2006 and with her she brought glitz, glam and all thing vintage inspired. Having amassed one of the most enviable collections of vintage fashion in the UK, Yasmin Yusuf now uses it as an inspiration for her designs, reinterpreting fabrics and patterns for the Miss Selfridge girl of today.
With Miss Selfridge having launched on ZALORA this month, we thought we’d find out a little more from the woman behind the brand. Exclusively to ZALORA Magazine, we ask Yasmin eight questions on what we can expect from Miss Selfridge in 2016.
1. Can you describe what you do in your role as Miss Selfridge Creative Director?
My role within Miss Selfridge is extremely varied. Most important is for me to keep on top of and ahead of the trends. I am continually looking at fashion trends, be it at the Designer shows, blogs, magazines + websites for inspiration. Miss S is a multi-channel operation — it’s important for me to make sure that we are aesthetically on brand in-store and online.
2. What are the main trends for SS16?
Boho is a big trend for SS16- we’re being influenced by the big designers, think Chloe and Rochas. Also be aware of the influences from Gucci and Valentino. Think girly, glam with boho vintage inspiration. It’s all about femininity for the new season.
3. What’s your favourite piece from SS16 Collection?
My favourites are all the beautiful boho pieces.
4. At what point did you realise you wanted to pursue a career in fashion?
When I was very small I made a pair of leopard print sandals — the sides were made out of the empty Kellogg’s Cornflakes box. That was the beginning for me!
5. What is your biggest source of inspiration?
My biggest source of inspiration is the history of women’s fashions — it has never not influenced our trends — from the 30’s to the 70’s. We can also draw inspirations from interiors and the music trends of the different eras.
6. Tell us three style tips you think should be an everyday mantra.
Dress for yourself. Dress in your own style. Be fab at all times.
7. If you could live in piece of clothing for the rest of your life what would it be?
My leather jeans — I don’t know what I’d do without them.
8. How would you describe Miss Selfridge to a ZALORA customer in Asia who is not so familiar with the brand?
Miss Selfridge is a fun, flirty and feminine brand for girls who want to dress with attitude.